The first stop is
Some two decades later, the town of
was settled in 1833. By that time, only the partly open cellars of some of the buildings marked the site of the original fort. The city soon became the site of the Iowa State Penitentiary in 1839, which served as a territorial prison before Fort Madison was a state. It is one of the oldest correctional facilities west of the Mississippi River and today houses about 1,000 inmates. Iowa
With its location right on the
Mississippi River, the city also grew as a manufacturing c enter. Today, its downtown district displays a collection of well-preserved historic storefronts from the late 19th century.
We then cross the 1927
Continuing along the Great River Road, we stop at historic Navuoo, Illinois, which was established in 1832 and first called Venus. Two years later the name was changed to Commerce and in 1839, when the Mormons bought the entire town site, it was renamed Navuoo. Having been expelled from